Surf Life Saving New South Wales (SLSNSW), in conjunction with Northern Beaches Council, Queenscliff, Freshwater, and North Steyne Surf Life Saving Clubs are proud to host the 2023 Surf Life Saving NSW State Championships, supported by Your Local Club at Queenscliff Beach, North Steyne and Freshwater Beaches.
The beaches will come alive between 23-February and 5 March with members from clubs across the State competing over 9 days of fierce competition. It’s the largest and most prestigious event on the surf sport calendar with over 15,000 competitors, spectators and volunteers expected.
The championships will showcase a wide range of surf sport disciplines, from the iconic iron person races to the thrills and spills of surfboat racing.
The championships will be held over the following dates:
• Life Saving Championships (Freshwater only): 17 – 19 February.
• Age Championships: Thursday 23 February – Sunday 26 February.
• Masters Championships: Wednesday 1 March – Thursday 2 March.
• Opens & Surf Boat Championships: Friday 3 March – Sunday 5March.
Competition will be staged from 8am thru 3:30pm(approx.) on competition days. Competition infrastructure will be in place between Queenscliff SLSC & North Steyne SLSC from Thursday 16 February thru Tuesday 7 March.
Whilst we intended to confine competition to the stretch between Queenscliff SLSC and Carlton Street, Manly, pending conditions, there may be a need to shift competition south towards Manly SLSC to ensure safe competition. The agreed contingency locations with Northern Beaches Council include South Steyne – Manly, Shelly Beach, Freshwater, Long Reef, Collaroy, and Mona Vale.
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO TRAFFIC AND PARKING
The Championships will attract upwards of 3,000 competitors, officials and spectators on any one day of competition so there will be some unavoidable traffic congestion throughout the duration of the Championships.
Important changes to local traffic conditions during the event period include:
- Special Event Parking will be directed to Keirle Park, Hinkler Park and Aitken Reserve.
- There will be increased demand for parking near Queenscliff and North Steyne Beaches
- There will be an event ‘Drop off Zone’ between Ceramic Lane and Collingwood Street along North Steyne Prominade.
- Detours advised at the corner of Cavill Rd and Crown Rd, heading south towards Queenscliff Surf Life Saving Club.
- Increased traffic congestion and ‘Go Slow’ advisories in place along Pittwater Road between Oliver Street, Freshwater and Golf Parade, Manly.
In the interim, if you would like any further information on the 2023 SLSNSW State Championships please do not hesitate to contact James Pinnington, Sports Manager on 0497 403 017 or at [email protected]
Alternatively, please visit our website for more information at and check for regular updates.